Chief Digital Transformation Officer
Share this role
- London Borough of Newham
- Upto £112,790
- Closing date:
- 9th April
- Job Ref:
London is Moving East
At Newham Council, we have been working hard to deliver our 2020 strategy for the Borough, making Newham an unrivalled place to Live, Work and Stay. With a number of Europe’s largest infrastructure development programmes already underway, including ‘Asia Port’ and Crossrail, with more in the pipeline, these are exciting, unprecedented times of growth for the Borough – London is truly moving East.
But we know there is still lots to do. To be sure our residents benefit fully from the wide range of opportunities new inward investment brings in terms of improved outcomes, we are busy planning our next stage of strategic transformation and evolution of the Council and its operating model.
This sees Newham Council asking searching questions of ourselves about the best ways in future to deliver our wide range of essential public services. making it faster, simpler and more satisfying for our residents, customers and users to engage with the Council and access our support. A key part of delivering this transformation will be the development of our Newham Digital proposition, people place and purpose.
Reporting to the COO, as a key member of the Strategic Leadership Team, our new Chief Digital Transformation Officer will show leadership in pioneering the design, adoption and delivery of digital services in support of every aspect of the Council’s business. In doing so, you will build an exemplar, internal, digital delivery organisation, providing services we know our customers and users want, designed, built and delivered around their needs. Your remit and scope of influence will be wide, including responsibility for all digital transformation programmes and projects and building support for the take-up of innovative, technology and data led approaches to service delivery transformation and user engagement.
The digital capability and capacity you build, will be of such apparent value, you will be in a position to commercialise the offering, opening the Council up to new partnering and revenue generation opportunities. Exploiting the full potential of our data, you will build a complete understanding of our customers needs and behaviours, identifying in simple outcome terms, where clever service design can deliver cost savings and efficiencies, whilst enabling a rewarding customer experience for every resident of the Borough.
The Council expects that you will be:
- A pioneering thinker – able to bring new, creative approaches to tackling established financial, social and economic challenges the Council faces e.g. delivering more for less whilst increasing the overall prosperity of the Borough and its residents;
- A disrupter – confident to ask difficult questions and challenge perceived wisdoms and urban myths around public service delivery, with a openness for your proposed solutions to be challenged and tested in turn;
- An influencer - skilled in building wide based support for change in a complex, political environment, including engagement with the Mayor, Members, External Partners and other key stakeholders and in making a persuasive and compelling case for business, digital enabled, change;
- An entrepreneur – with a start-up mindset and an insatiable desire to explore and test creative ways of generating revenue for the Council from its new digital proposition;
- A builder – interested in developing others and in creating an exemplar, internal, Newham Digital function and brand;
- A credible leader – able to inspire others, with the resilience to overcome resistance to change through the constant delivery of measurable customer wins;
- A persuasive negotiator - with a head for figures and a concern for striking the right, advantageous commercial digital and ICT supplier and partner contracts for Newham Council and its residents;
- A passionate – advocate for Newham, its people, place, purpose and the value digital services can bring in connecting, serving and empowering, the whole community of the Borough
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please submit an up to date copy of your CV, along with a Supporting Statement that addresses the criteria set out in the person specification, using examples to demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements. Please provide your home, work, mobile and email contact details and let us know of any dates when you are not available or where you may have difficulty with the indicative timetable. You should also provide the names, positions, organisations and contact details for two referees, one of whom should be your current or most recent employer. If you do not wish us to approach your referees without your prior permission, please state this clearly.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated email to confirm that you have applied. If you do not receive this email, please make contact with GatenbySanderson.
The following consultants are managing this role and will be happy to answer any questions that are not covered in the person specification on the next webpage.
- Adrian Barlow
- 07393 011150
- Eleanor Lawrence
- 020 7426 3379